Saturday, December 31, 2011

It is no coincidence that Dog spelled backwards is God!

I am not a theologian, but I know there are huge debates on whether dogs will make it to heaven.  My opinion is that there will be, because God loves me that much. If you have a different opinion, that is fine, just keep it to yourself.  Just kidding, kind of:)  Some of the people that I have had this debate with says that a dog has no soul.  Apparently those people have never looked their dogs in the eyes when you are getting ready to go somewhere and your dog knows that you are leaving and he just goes into depression mode and starts to follow you and sulk around.  Nor have they experienced being sick on the couch and having their dog never leaving your side.  

Now, I don't want you to misunderstand what I am getting ready to say...I am in no way, shape or form saying that my dog is God, or that God is my dog, but I think that God gave us dogs to show us his unfailing love for us.  I think God has used dogs to demonstrate exactly how he feels about us. Below I have listed some of the things that occur to me when I think about my dog....

My Dog:

Is always glad to see me come home. 

Will still love me even when I get mad at him.

Hates it when I leave him.  He stands at the window and watches with sad eyes.

When I am not paying attention to him he does something that forces me to focus on him. Usually this includes going to my closet and picking out my most expensive "heels" and brings them to the living room in full view.  My dog has very good taste when it comes to chewing on my shoes.

Disciplines me.  When I have been gone too long he may tear something up or relieve himself where he shouldn’t. I am not saying God relieves himself in my house, but I am a firm believer that God allows things like trials and struggles to come into our life so that we "step-up" our Christian walk with him. 

Follows me from room to room.

He does not like it when I have been around other dogs. Oh, and he ALWAYS knows when I have been with "others".

I have to feed and water him everyday.  Care to him and give him attention.

Protects us from enemies.

He gets super bothered and frustrated at those creepy tiny ticks.  I think of the ticks as satan because even though sometimes you can’t see them, you don’t even know they are there and then they bite you, and can cause a lot of sickness and hurt.

A dog’s love is almost impossible to destroy, because it’s not a love you earn — it’s simply a love you are given.

Do you think maybe “man’s best friend” is really pointing us to the One who is truly our very best friend? I think the similarities between my dog and God are not coincidental.  Sometimes I hear at my house, "You treat the dog better than you treat me".....God deserves better treatment than the dog.  John sums it up for us in John 15 starting at verse 9...(this is where Jesus is talking to his Disciples) hmmmmm - I was going to type it all out for you, but if I do, you will not get into the word and check it out for yourself!  But I will share with you one verse that stands out to me...
John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." 
Go ahead, find your bible....hopefully you are not having to dust it off...but do keep reading, cause it doesn't stop there.  But this is where today's blog is going to stop.  Appreciate your dog today, but most importantly Celebrate the Love God has given you!!!




3 comments:

  1. Love it! Jackson used to wait by the door before I got home. No matter what time I was comming home, he always knew. And lexi uses to lay her head on my stomach when I was pregnant with rhett as to say " I know he's in there mom"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the blog. I love the name! =)

    I have two blogs and enjoy both immensely.

    ReplyDelete